I was lucky enough to get a tablet as a gift this last Christmas and, after a while without any protection save the odd magazine, it was in danger of getting a bit beat up in my bag. I was looking around at cases and kept on seeing all these lovely really thick felt tablet cases (sleeves?) around that I liked but I didn't want to spend the money they usually sell for. They are generally made of really thick wool felt which is beautiful but is quite expensive to buy for the home crafter (3 sheets can be around $18 and up). So, I decided to make mine out of 29 cent craft felt sheets instead which happen to be just the right size. Yay, I love a bargain solution!
You will need:
4 sheets of craft felt
Ten minutes of your life
1. Line up 2 craft sheets on top of each other and stitch a straight line across the top leaving a small border. Do the same with your second 2 sheets. These individually stitched sides provide the opening when the other sides are all stitched together.
2. This shows your two sets. Don't worry too much about lining them up perfectly as felt sheets are rarely exactly the same size.
3. Lay one stitched set on top of the other set in your chosen colour combination and pin the heck out of it so it doesn't skew too much when you sew it all together.
4. Stitch around the outside 3 seams and not the top one where you have already stitched obviously. I used generous seams because my Asus tablet is smaller than an iPad. I think with smaller seams the iPad would still fit (someone try this out and let me know!).
5. Use your sharp scissors to trim off the seams all around and give you a nice clean edge. That's it, you are done!
For another one I made, I used pinking shears for a more decorative edge.
On this one, I chose yellow for one side...
and grey for the other. Going with the whole colour blocking trend right now. I am so hip... ;-)
I really like the colour effect on the trimmed sides and the double thickness on each side makes it nice and sturdy. Best of all, because it is so cheap and quick to make, if I want a different colour combination it is no hassle.