Sunday, October 16, 2011

Day 15 - Thrift store doll bed


I found this at the thrift store for $4.  It was being used to hold a lamp but it looked like a doll bunk bed to me. I left it there as it was quite rickety but, after telling Miss E about it, we decided to go back and get it if it was still there.  Miss E has two American Girl dolls and I thought they would fit perfectly.


I added some glue and more nails to hold it firm.  To be honest, I just did a fairly basic patch job - this isn't and won't be an heirloom piece by any stretch of the imagination.  I gave it a quick sand and primed it.


Here it is painted.  I was quite surprised E picked pink for it - she is not a girly girl at all so I was really expecting orange or green but there you go.  Glad I was right, the dolls do fit perfectly!

Now I just have to make some coordinating bedding - the fun part!  A little mattress, a pillow and a patchwork quilt for each bunk (which I have decided will be my introduction to quilting - I have always wanted to try it).  I was going to do sheets as well but the beds are so shallow I think it will look fine with just a pretty mattress.


Then it will be on to the next thrift store makeover.  I found this plane shelf for a couple of dollars which will be perfect for A's room.  He is mad for planes.

3 comments:

  1. Wow what fab finds. The dolls beds turned out great. I cant wait to see what you do with the plane shelves. Lee x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds, Catherine! Love the pink bunk beds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a great score!!!! my girls would KILL for that!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails